Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Craft each day until... Fourth of July....Wearable Art

I really wanted to post these today - to give you moms time to make these before tomorrow.  I subscribe to Disney's Family Fun magazine, and I really have to give them credit - most of their crafts are fun, easy, and enjoyable to make.  This month's issue was full of great ideas for the Fourth of July. (I believe you can also find step by step instructions on their website for both of these crafts.)
When I saw this cover:
I was hooked. The tutus are darling - and seeing as I still have a girlie girl at home, I decided to give it a try with her.  That posed a tiny problem, however - having two boys, you can't do for one and not do for the others.    Thankfully, they also had directions to make these:

We shopped for a few supplies (and spent less than $10 total to make all the projects) and got to work.  First, the boys made their shirts.

Aren't they cute?  I just love them!  They needed a lot of help from me - making sure things were lined up jus so, and writing on the bottom so it was "neat", but they love them, and so do I.
Bee was up next.  First, we bought yards of toule, instead of the spools of it - then we cut our own strips.  This was far less expensive, and also made a longer/fuller skirt - which is good for an older girl.
Also, I used a sports headband for the elastic, instead of buying  craft elastic and having to sew it together:

Love, love, love this one.  With Bridgette putting it together, it took about twenty minutes - had I done it, it might have taken ten...maybe.   You can make one of these for your little girl, or have her help if she knows how to tie a knot.   Bee is already requesting one in pink and white - and I'm sure that once our sweet neighbors (who have four darling princesses) get ahold of this they'll want some too.  I can't wait to make more!   Please, please send photos if you've made either of these crafts. I'd love to see them!
Stacy

1 comment:

  1. LOVE these ideas!!! If I had time and money, we'd do these today. So you just tied the tulle to the headband. That would SO work for Ava too!

    ReplyDelete